We didn't do much in Mae Hong Son. At least not in terms of sightseeing or tourist activities. D was feeling better but still not great, so we decided to just stay put for several days and enjoy the tranquility. We updated the blog, caught up on e-mails, did laundry and in general did nothing more than walk around the lake and watch the people getting on with their things. We made a little Thai-Burmese restaurant our base, trying out almost half of the menu including some farang (foreigner, 'guiri') food.
One afternoon I climbed up a hill above town to see a temple with a very long name Wat Phra That Doi Kong Mu. The temple itself was not worth all the sweat, but the views from there were stunning.
And while D was resting some more, I decided to learn how to ride a scooter! I never thought I would do it and only until recently I was very afraid of motorcycles (we both were/are). But I figured that it is that kind of skill that can be handy in Southeast Asia where even babies ride a scooter and Mae Hong Son was the perfect place to learn, as the traffic is nowhere near as heavy as in Chiang Mai and there are many side streets where I could practice. So the night before I watched some videos on YouTube on how to ride a scooter or at least how to start it... I got a small Honda (with no insurance whatsoever) and it was as easy as it looked on the videos! I fell in love immediately and even convinced D to try it out and very soon I was driving all around town and even ventured out into the fields and hills outside.
And we took the scooter for a ride ... to the hospital! It is becoming our habit to visit hospitals anywhere we go now. Again the hospital was very nice, people very professional and they charged only 4 euros for a blood and urine test! At least now we know that D most likely does not have neither malaria nor dengue fever, good news!
![]() |
| We like hospitals |
We spent four easy days in Mae Hong Son and got so fond of it that we were wishing we didn't have to go. But it was time to move on and we spent 9 hours on the local bus again to get back to Chiang Mai. Luckily only to spend a night and this morning another bus took us further north, to Chiang Rai.






No comments:
Post a Comment